I hope you had a chance to see all of the wonderful animal cards in our gallery at the Sisterhood of Crafters for our last challenge! You sistahs are so talented!! For our next one, Darlene is the hostess and our theme this time around is Something You Would See/Find In The Sky (ex. sun, stars, airplane, birds, balloons, butterflies, etc., etc.)! I had quite a few ideas for this theme, but decided to use the Sky is the Limit stamp set that was a very popular during Sale-A-Bration a couple of years ago. Trying to keep it a little generic in its use, I paired it with Wherever You Go for the sentiment, and also used the wonderful trees from Rooted in Nature.
My Secrets to Making This Sky is the Limit Project
- Making the background for this card was very easy and lots of fun! I first masked the sun, then started building color for the sky, using lightest ink colors to darker in circular motions with a sponge. Then, I used the negative for the sun and lightly colored it with So Saffron ink. The bottom of the card was not sponged so I could stamp the trees twice, once with full color in the front, then again for the trees in the back with ink that was stamped onto my grid paper first.
- The airplane was stamped with Memento Black Ink twice, after seeing that the airplane would look better popped up off the card. I made the propeller with vellum cardstock. Have you ever punched a hole in a circle and it was off just a smidge? Well, I punched the hole first, then punched circle around it so it was perfectly in the middle. So much easier!!
- The original plan was to use a rhinestone for the center of the propeller but then thought the Silver Mini Brad would be cute. Yes, you can see the brads under the vellum, but they look like the blades. Fun!
- Add a little baker’s twine and fringe the ends with your piercing tool for a great detail that is very quick and easy.
Quick List of Stampin’ Up! Products
- Stamp Sets: Rooted in Nature, Sky is the Limit, Wherever You Go
- Paper: Shaded Spruce, Very Vanilla, Whisper White, So Saffron, Vellum CS
- Ink: Bashful Blue, Balmy Blue, Dapper Denim, Smoky Slate, So Saffron
- SU Tools: Nature’s Roots Framelits, Rainbow Builder Framelits, 3/4″ Circle Punch
- Finishing Touch: Very Vanilla Thick Baker’s Twine, Ribbon Slides, Silver Mini Brads
I would like to submit my card to the following challenges. Please check them out and play along with me:
- Cardz 4 Galz: Metal Madness (Ribbon Slide and Silver Mini Brad)
- Crafting with Dragonflies: Use Baker’s Twine
- Pattie’s Creations Challenge: Anything that Flies
Now, it’s your turn! Please stop by and check out the rest of the Design Team inspiration over at the Sisterhood of Crafters then get your favorite stamps out and play along! Please follow the Challenge Guidelines below to be eligible to win.
Before You Go!
I hope you enjoyed this post! If you did, please:
- Leave me a comment! Which “secret” are you going to try?
- Don’t forget to visit my Gallery for lots of ideas, and…
- Follow me on Pinterest and Facebook.
- Want to know what’s new with SU? Check out What’s New.
When placing an order, don’t forget that:
- You can earn FREE products with my SS Rewards.
- Need ideas to get your order over the top for these Freebies? Then,
Thanks for coming to my blog today! If you have any questions, please feel free to email me any time. Until next time, have fun in your craft room!
DIY List of Stampin’ Up! Products